Question
Posted by: Mika | 2007/04/23

Hot Yoga and Pregnancy

I've been doing twice weekly power yoga classes in a heated studio for just over 2 months now and am loving it. I've just found out I'm pregnant (early stages). Can I still continue and simply avoid certain postures? I've heard that the heat is not recommended for the baby's development.

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Mika and congratulations - taking a look at the Bikram yoga website I found the following advice:
"If you have been doing yoga regularly just prior to your pregnancy, then you may continue with the yoga exercises until your third month, or up until the time you are no longer able to lie on your abdomen. Then you should use the Yoga for Pregnancy video. If you are new to yoga or have not been doing Yoga just prior to your pregnancy, you should wait three months until you start. At that time you should use the pregnancy yoga video."

Generally, irrespective of style and therefore heating, I recommend erring on the side of caution and for those new to yoga would encourage you to go to specific pre-natal classes which are geared towards easing carrying and delivery. As for heats affect on development I really can't say and suggest consulting a healthcare professional but since there is a lot going on in the body at that time I would say that the less additional environmental stress the better.
Regards.
Chris