Question
Posted by: Karli | 2006/10/24

Hot spots

I wonder if you can help me.

I have a golden retriever of 7 years old,he suffers from hot spots especially in summer. Mainly top of tail and upper thighs.
How can I treat these or prevent them?

Hot spots are treated by clipping the coat clear around and over the affected area and using a topical antibiotic preparation. They can appear "overnight" and can be minimized by keeping the coat clean and bathing with medicated shampoos periodically. They can cause immense pain and sometimes affected animals need to be sedated to enable them to be clipped.

5
Posted by: Karli | 2006/10/26

Thanks for all the info.

Reply to Karli
Posted by: WR | 2006/10/26

I've tested it on myself on a open scratch, hurts for a sec, and then it's fine. My dogs never seem to mind either. Maybe we (me and the dogs) are to stupid to feel it! hehe! Peroxide also works, and that you REALLY do not feel.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2006/10/25

May do, WR - but it would also hurt like hell!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2006/10/25

Hi there!

The best treatment in my opinion, is to clean the area with cotton wool and Meth Spirits. Dries it out and cleans in the same go!

Good luck!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2006/10/24

The main thing with treating hot spots is to keep them as dry as possible, and it often helps to shave the skin around the spot so that moisture isn't retained by the coat. Also, antiseptic ointment or powder should help - although quite often veterinary attention is essential - don't wait too long either, since these hotspots can escalate very rapidly.

Prevention would seem mainly to consist of keeping the coat dry - if the dog does get wet, then dry the susceptible areas as thoroughly as possible.

If you put the following in to Google, you'll find a lot of info - put it in exactly as given, including the punctuation:
dog "hot spots"

Reply to Chill