Question
Posted by: Splaterpea | 2007/07/26

Hot Oil Burns

On Sunday I got burnt by cooking oil that was actually on fire.
I was burnth on my feet and a couple of spots on on both legs upto my knees.
I havn't experienced any pain what so ever untill now(Thursday). But now it's so sore I cant even walk.

It happened in the evening so I went to casualty and they have been telling me to come for checkups and dressing changes at casualty. I went on Monday and Wednesday and I have to go tomorrow again.
Problem each time I go I see someone different and I'm not too sure if this is the best approuch.
Each doctor seems to have a different opinion to the previous doctor.
The original doctor I saw on sunday said that I would wear dressings for about 2 weeks, the next doctor said I probably dont need to wear dressings(the wounds are excreting puss), then the last doctor drained a blister (I only have 1 blister on 1 of the superficial burns) and I was told previously not to pop any blisters.

Do you think I should go see my GP rather, or should I not worry about it to much.

Burns = 2nd Degree superficial and two deep.
Colour = Dark purple.
Pain = No Pain untill now
Treatment = Sunday - Burn Shield, Monday = Flamazine, Wednesday = Flamazine

Dear Splaterpea

Thank you for visiting health24.com. I apologise for the delayed reply.

I suggest that you consult your GP regarding treatment. If your legs are so painful that you are unable to walk, it is possible that you have cellulitis of the legs. This will not improve with the Flamazine ointment. I would treat you with oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, anti-biotics and vitamins, i.e. Vitamin C, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin B Complex.

Your GP should also do a swap of the possible infected area and send it away for a MCS.

Good luck with your treatment.

Kind regards