Question
Posted by: Marcie | 2004/12/02

Hot flushes/med. treatment without tests

Dear Doc,
I recently visited a dr. to find help with terrible hot flushes that I experience. Without having tests done, I was put onto Estrofem and these flushes are 10 times worse!
Should it not be compulsory to test for hormonal imbalance, and also, should one not also have progesterone levels tested as well as estrogen?
I am frantic for a solution. I am 56 yrs old and had these flushes for the last 3 years.... but they seem to be getting worse!
What is your opinion of Natural progesterone cream?
I had a hysterectomy 15 yrs ago, ovaries were left though......
recently I had a menstrual period.... Whats happening?
Look forward to your reply!
Thank you!

In general I would agree with you that tests should be done to establish whether or not you are menopausal. However, at your age, with these symptoms, that is the likeliest cause. It is changes in oestrogen levels which causes the flushing, not progesterone and I do not believe that progesterone cream will be of any value. You may beed a higher dose of HRT.
If you had bleeding, this also needs to be investigated. I don't know whether the doctor you saw was a gynaecologist, but I would suggest that you consult one.