Question
Posted by: Vilga | 2005/01/12

Hot flushes and HRT

Dear Doc,
Please help - hot flushes and night sweats are killing me. I am 52 and I stop menstruating 1 year ago. I have hot flushes for 2 years and its getting worse. I would like to start HRT for various reasons but mainly for this problem.
1. Do hot flushes ever stop and when without HRT?
2. I do not want to start bleading again. Is there any HRT on the market which will not cause comeback of the periods? Can you give me some trade names?
It always helps if one knows something about the medication before talking to my doctor (he tends to think that women are slighly stupid) . Sorry, I can't change him - he is the only one in the area.
Thanks in advance.

Hot flushes sometimes stop on their own, but can go on for many years. This varies form person to person.
There are medications whcih are period free. Livifem is one of them.