Question
Posted by: Gill | 2004/09/21

Horse riding creates bigger body?

Do you think that horse riding for a hour or two on the weekend, could make your bum larger and can it also make your thighs bigger, and if so what form of exercise can I do in the gym to prevent this from happening? And also do you think that spinning could help at all?

Hi Gill

I'm not sure of the glute muscles (the butt), because I don't really know too much of the muscle activity that is involved during horse riding. Certainly, the thighs get a constant sustained workout because you are pretty much doing a permanent muscle contraction. The result of this could be to increase muscle mass. I'm not sure about huge bulking though, because the resistance is quite low. You see, the basic principle behind weight training is that to bulk up, you do few contractions with heavy weights, and to tone, you do many more contractions with a lighter weight, and I'm leaning towards the second option when it comes to horseriding- the resistance is probably relatively low, but is sustained.

So, bottom line is it might, but you should not become too bulky from this. In terms of exercise to prevent it, dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling are the way to go. Spinning is certainly included in this, and so I would encourage you to do this whenever you can. Again though, spinning can also cause muscle gain, if you cycle with a high resistance, therefore, my advice is to cycle at a fast rate, with perhaps a lower resistance. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.

Hope this helps

1
Posted by: bien | 2004/09/27

Hi there,

I do horse riding about 3 times a week. I also do soccer or hockey about twice a week. Can the horse riding still make my body bigger?

Kind regards,
Sabine

Reply to bien