Question
Posted by: Tram | 2003/02/17

Hormones

Hi Doc. Could you please tell me how increased levels of prolactin would affect a person's mood, self esteem, confidence, temprament etc. This is not increased due to pregnancy but due to some imbalance.

Dear Tram,
I'm not sure if there is a simple answer to your question. There are many possible causes to raised levels of the hormone Prolactin, most of them also potentially involving canges in other body hormones, so the overall impact would depend very much on the overall changes on hormone patterns. Similarly, some of the causes of hyper-prolactinaemia will themselves, by other mechanisms, affect one's mood, etc. Further, some of the treatments for the ailment, depending on the original cause, can also affect mood, etc.
So, while it's probably common for people to have raised prolactin, for various reasons, without any significant impact on mood, confidence, etc., other factors might have more influnce than the actual prolactin levels.
If you have been found to have a raised prolactin level, your own doctor would be in the best possible reason to answer this, knowing the extent to wich all these other potentially significant factors are, or are not, relevant in your specific situation.