Question
Posted by: Sally | 2008/01/21

Hormone imbalances?

Dear Doc,

After consulting a gynae due to irregular periods and very pimply skin around the chin (always normal, on Triphasal and then suddenly had another period midcycle that lasted 2 weeks). The sonar and papsmear showed normal, but the very pricey bloodwork showed the following out of normal range:
S-FT4: 21.1 pmol/L and
S-Prolactin:43.5 ng/mL

I am now desperately trying to get an appointment with an enocrinologist, as the gynae suggested. They are all so fully booked though! Should I be very worried? Since we want to try falling pregnant this yearI have just gone off the pill and off Cipralex (anti-depressant). Could those two facts not maybe cause the raised thyroid activity and the raised prolactin? I am 34 and in good health - never had thyroid issues before (tested regularly as Mom has issues)If this is not such a great concern then I ould a relax a bit and not worry that the first available appointment with an endo is months away!

Thank you!

I would suggest that you see a general physician in the mean time. It is probably too long to leave untreated for several months.