Question
Posted by: Afraid | 2007/06/17

Hormonal supplements

I emailed you a few days ago to say I had been bleeding at 6 weeks preg, I unfortunately miscarried on the weekend. YOu mentioned hormonal supplements in your last answer to me - are these suppossed to be taken before one falls preg or do you take them only when you start to bleed? I was at hospital when the spotting started and no one offered me supplements so I am wondering if I should have asked for it or what I should do in future if I fall preg again and bleed. Thanks!

Dear Afraid
No only if you start bleeding it sometimes helps to take progesterone supplements - but your doctor will see on a blood test if it is necessary. Sometimes the problem is something else, like a baby that does not develop normally. It does not mean that you will have problems with the next pregnancy and sometimes one can't do anything about it at all. See also http://www.emedicinehealth.com/miscarriage/article_em.htm
I am sorry to hear that you lost your baby - I know one feels sad even though it was still early days.