Question
Posted by: lady | 2007/04/02

hormonal headache?

Hi doc

I think I am getting hormonal headaches. I have a problem with my menstrual cycle - I have 12 day periods. I am busy taking homeopathic medication to try and sort this issues. I have been for laparoscopy with gynea as I want to fall pregnant. There is no physical problems with me. I have bad headaches just before my periods and I feel very tired as well. I have a "thick" head and have difficulty concentrating. Almost feel dizzy in my head. I am inslulin resistant and with a dietician to assist with correct diet (6 months already). Is there anything I can take or do while trying to sort my cycles in the meantime. It is having an impact on my life as I feel miserable when having these constant headaches. Thank you

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Lady,

When someone has ‘hormonal headaches’, it means that the changes in the hormone levels during the menstrual cycle are triggering off some underlying problem. Most hormonal headaches occur in people who have regular 28 day cycles, with perfectly normal hormone levels, but the patients still get headaches. One has to find out why your body is reacting to your hormone fluctuations in the way it does, and what structures the pain is coming from.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.