Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2006/11/12

hormonal?

I am 25yrs and trying to lose weight but, finding it very difficult. I eat very healthy and as a single working mom I am relatively active. Wondering if I might have a hormonal imbalance as I have a bad skin as well even though I take good care of my skin and drink lots of water as well. I just feel like I am fighting against my body more so than I should be. I have had these problems since I was a teenager. What can I do to find out?? I dont have medical aid.

Dear Michelle
You may well suffer from a hormonal imbalance, possibly polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) plus insulin resistance (IR). If you don't have the money to see a medical dr and to pay for the tests, then I would suggest that you contact your nearest teaching hospital (they are found in most of the bigger centres like Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town, Bloemfontein, etc) where you may be able to have the tests done by their gynaecology clinics. If you should suffer from PCOS and/or IR then you need to scrape together the money to see a clinical dietitian because the dietary treatment is essential.
Holding thumbs for you