Question
Posted by: LN | 2011/11/16

Hoodia- response to your comments

Dear Diet Doc

I read with interest your comments about the latest research findings relating to Hoodia (" Farewell to Hoodia" ).

However, I find that the comments are primarily based on the conclusion statement of the " trial'' rather having had access to the whole trial methodology.

Certain pertinent points to take into consideration though:

(1)Very small sample size (25 only), thus different stats equations are used
(2)Very short duration of " trial"  of 15 days only- most pharmaceutical trials on weight loss products are conducted at leas for 3-6 months
(3)very high dosage used (1110mg vs 300-600mg in most products), thus increasing likelihood of S/E
(4)Test product (H gordonii) mixed with yoghurt- possible interaction to reduce efficacy eg like tetracycline with dairy products)
Many more points to consider, but space is limited.

I believe that the test was meant to fail- P 57 will be manipulated in the lab and voila a future diet pill will be launched! (sorry no royalties to the San people!)

Ps  Do you think the company will spend R220 mill in vain for testing on only 25 people and trial for 15 days!!
Pharmaceutical politics at its best

Hope to hear your view

LN

Dear LN
I hear what you are saying, but what is also a consideration is that in 48 years, no other human trials have been conducted to test if Hoodia does actually suppress appetite and cause weightloss and if it has any negative side-effects or not. The whole world is waiting for a solution to overweight, so one would expect any pharmaceutical company to carry out the required research ASAP and get the product on the market. That 3 major players in the field, Phytopharm, Pfizer and now Unilever have not done so, seems to indicate that there is a problem with the compound and not necessarily just pharmaceutical politics at play. The fact that slimming pill manufacturers are selling products purported to contain Hoodia without knowing if the compounds in this plant extract are effective or safe, is also scary. I would also imagine that after 48 years one of the players would already have manipulated the HgPE molecule and made a killing on the slimming pill market.
For the sake of the San and all the people of the world who want and need to lose weight, I for one would welcome the development of an effective slimming pill which is also safe and proven.

1

Dear LN