Question
Posted by: CK | 2004/11/08

Honey & Milk?

I have been diagnosed as having a "faulty valve" which means I suffer from extreme acidity which makes my stomach burn and causes nausea. I am currently taking a acid inhibitor called "Pantaloc" which works wonders but because I can only take it a half hour before breakfast and because I eat so late, I suffer before that. I was advised by a friend to take a tsp of honey with a bit of milk a couple of times a day as this apparently causes a paste inside the stomach which protects the lining. My main concern is that I go to gym in the morning and have always trained on an empty stomach. I know this probably sounds pathetic but I would like to know what effect the honey and milk will have on me with regards to my training. Will I get a sugar rush and burst of energy and then slump or is the quantity of honey to small to have any effect?? I can't eat so early in the morning so if there is anything else you can suggest I take before training to ease the acid and will not effect fat burning whilst training? Bearing in mind I train at 5am.

Dear CK
You do know that you need to eat something after your 12-hour overnight fast so that your stomach and oesophagus can be protected against the excess acid. You also need to ingest some food before you exercise to provide some energy for your body to be able to do these exercises. I would recommend that you have a whole glass of milk (use fat-free milk if you slimming) with a teaspoon of honey before you go to gym. It would also be a good idea if you could eat a food with a low glycaemic index (GI) before you do that exercise to provide you with sustained energy during the exercise, e.g. Pronutro with bran, etc. You won't get a sugar rush if you have the honey in your milk because the quantity is too small and if you combine it with milk, the milk will lower its GI for you. You do know that stress can contribute significantly to excess acid production? I think your training programme at 5 am may well be stressing you, as well as the weight loss programme you seem to be on. Do try to relax and give your body a chance to stop producing so much acid.
Take care