Question
Posted by: Kel | 2004/10/06

Homeopathic substitute for Anti-Epileptics?

Hey,

I've been taking Trileptal for 6 months now, before this I took Epilim with Zyprexa as well as Lamictin. I don't have any major side effects but I do feel a little uncomfortable sometimes. Are there any homeopathic substitutes for the Trileptal that won't mess me up even more? I tried to not take pills for a year and didn't actually cope too well, so I know that they're necessary - I'd just like to know if going to a homeopath is a feasable option?

Dear Kel,
There is quite a wide range of enti-epileptic meds, shown by research to be effective and tolerably safe. If you have needed combinations of some of the modern antiepileptics, then it may be that your epilepsy is not nevesarily easy to control ( with all the atentdant risks eg not driving ) There are NO homeopathic treatments for epilepsy that have ever been shown to be effective at all. And as you discovered, NOT taking effective meds can really mess things uup for you, unnecessarily. You say you didn't have any major side-effects on the meds, which is fortunate, and really a good reason to stay with them, None of us like the idea of needing meds, for any chronic reason, but we need their benefits. I would be surprised if a homeopath would accept such a rsky prospect as treating someone with epilepsy with remedies of know proven worth.

1
Posted by: Kel | 2004/10/07

Thanks for your reply. I don't actually have epilepsy, I suffer from Bipolar - don't know why I've constantly been put on anti-epileptics, apparently to stabilise me. So I don't have convulsions of any sort, hence I'm fine driving. I need to know about homeopathic substitutes for the anti-epileptics that are treating me for Bipoal Disorder.

Reply to Kel