Question
Posted by: bell | 2004/11/16

Home Preggies test

I did a test last night and watched only the test line appear :( but when I went back about ten minutes later a faint line was there sort of like a pencil line but pink - I rushed out the the pharmacy and got another but just one line was there should I wait a while and test again or am I just pulling at straws....

The test was negative. Depending on how long your period is overdue, you may have done it too early, in which case repeat in a few days.

Best wsihes

1
Posted by: Golly | 2004/11/16

Bell,

I know the feeling - Sunday I also did a hpt to get a negative. My period arrived this morning. However, yesterday I did an internet search and found out that hpt are only truely accurate from day 7 to 10 after the missed (expected) period date! Even if they tell you it can detect pregnancy "up to 2 days before the missed period" it is very improbable that the test will be able to do that as it is just not that sensitive.

A pregnancy test should not be read after 10 minutes but rather from 30 seconds to 3 minutes after wetting. Also, it is best to do it early in the morning or after the urine has been in your bladder for more than 4 hours (if you can keep it in that long!). When getting a negative wait three to 5 days before re-testing.

A blood test is much more sensitive and would give a true result after about 5 days after a missed period. Not much help if you have been ttc'ing forever.....

Good luck to you. Maybe it's best to wait it out a bit longer.

Reply to Golly