Question
Posted by: Tinkerbell | 2005/11/25

Hollywood...

Have you ever seen/met a celebrity in person? Who?

Hmm, let's see. Mainly older stars mostly no longer around, like Marlene Dietrich, Maurice Chevalier, Spike Milligan, Vanessa Redgrave, various slightly lesser-known actors, Buckminster Fuller, Alvin Toffler, Masters and Johnson the sex researchers, Anna Freud ( Sigmund's daughter ), Winston Churchill, RD Laing, Margaret Mead, Mr Parkinson of Parkinson's Law, Linus Pauling ( who won 2 Nobel Prizes ), The Queen of England. And the concussion has probably made me forget a number of others.
Oh, and Nelson Mandela, who walked up, shook my hand and said "Aaah, Professor ! I have been hearing good things about you !" --- and then when we began talking, made it clear that he HAD done his homework and wasn't just saying something pleasant and untrue.
Ah, yes, Frusty reminds, me, Richard Branson, when he was having a battle with Bitish Airways dirty tricks some years back. Nice guy.
Of SA pop stars, wasn't there a guy who looked like am all-in wrestler wearing a beret ? Randall Wicombe or some such ? Once on a flight to Cape Town, this large bumptious guy got into the plane at a stop in Bloemfontain, sat down in th seat in front of me, and immediately put it into full recline, mashing my knees --- and when someone does that, so I'm sorced to stare down their nostrils, I feel like a dentist --- anyhow, I tapped him sharply on the shoulder and told him to sit up straight as the plane was about to take off, and anyway he was just being a pain in the neck to the people sitting behind him. He looked shocked and did as I said. Later a stewardess whispered to me that he was some sort of star. I said, sorry, if I haven't heard of someone, they're not really a star.

16
Posted by: Parabola | 2005/11/28

Three years ago when Rodriguez played at in JHB, he threw his hat into the crowd, and i got it.

I was then invited to the back to get the hat signed.

I followed these body guards to the back into this Turkish style chillroom lit only by candles and fumigated with incense and some seriously tripped out beats.

There was Rodriguez, dark glasses on, strangely aloof sitting next to a half naked girl.

He asked me to sit next to him, which i did. he rolled a joint while talking about SA and music, then gave me the honours of lightening it up.

Rodriguez, myself and that girl smoked that joint and talked shit until his manager said it was time for him to sleep, and time for me to go.

Still have the hat.

Reply to Parabola
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/11/27

Sigourney Weaver - didn't meet her, she walked past us on a pavement in Chicago.

Locally, I met Derek Watts when he was MC at a function we attended. This was when I was still smoking, I went outside for a smoke and he joined me, asking for a ciggie!!! He is so TALL and very charming.

Patricia Lewis performed at a function in the KNP, when she had a break she came to sit at our table and paid me a beautiful compliment (I'll love her for life!!!)! She is much smaller than I expected, and she oozes sex appeal and energy.

Leon Schuster, I haven't met him but he always greets me when I see him at school (our children attend the same school).

Ruda Landman (wow, this is a woman of substance!)

Quite a few local actors, whom you don't hear of anymore.

Reply to Buzz
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/11/25

Bill Clinton
Jennifer Lopez
Rod Stewart
Michael Douglas
Rachel Hunter
Angelina Jolie
Joe -|- er
Claire Johnstone (Mango Groove)
A whole bunch other people who I cant think of now...

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Dee | 2005/11/25

I met and hugged Mama Africa - Mirriam Makebe. Was the highlight of my stardusting career.
If you are a rugby fan then believe it or not - I met and have a fabulous photo with Bryan O Driscoll (Ireland). My husband almost fainted when I showed him the photo (taken on my cellphone).

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Pluto | 2005/11/25

I met Arnold Schwarzenegger in Germany
I met Rod Stewart while working at a hotel in the the UK.
The other day I went for lunch at Moyo's and Liam Nielsen was sitting at the table next to us...

Very kewl!!

Reply to Pluto
Posted by: Shakira | 2005/11/25

And you impressed with me Helena - check CS's long list!

Reply to Shakira
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/11/25

I come from Margate they all go there for a holiday forgot half of them:

Noot vir Noot se Johan Stemmet (in his beach buggy)

and

Rina Hugo's daughter dated my brother for a while (before she was a model) so I met her and her husband

and

Nataniel - how could I forget him - damn he's funny !

Reply to CP Mom
Posted by: lerita | 2005/11/25

Tiekie, my probleem met beroemdes / bekendes is die vgl. Die media (Huisgedood/ Huisgelieg) is geneig om gewone mense met geen buitengewone talente so op te hemel asof hulle "Celebrities" is en dit in ons keelgat af te druk. Kyk nou maar na Paris Hilton, Jurie Els en in 'n mate Minkie en Patricia Lewis. Ek dink CS sal ook saamstem

Reply to lerita
Posted by: Delene | 2005/11/25

Met Jerry Springer when he was here in SA

Reply to Delene
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/25

Yeah, Shakira, that's his name! Thanks, it would have bugged me now all day!

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: Shakira | 2005/11/25

Richard Branson is it Frusty?

Wesley Snipes
Michael Jackson
Will Smith

Reply to Shakira
Posted by: Helena of Troy | 2005/11/25

Geez Shakira I am impressed!

I only met Ronald at MacDonalds

Reply to Helena of Troy
Posted by: Tiekie | 2005/11/25

Lerita ek wil hom vra hoekom erken hy maar nie hy's gay nie!

Reply to Tiekie
Posted by: lerita | 2005/11/25

Ja ek sal graag vir Jurie Els wil ontmoet my vraag sal wees "hoekom is jy getroud!!!!"

Reply to lerita
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/25

The head of the Virgin Corporation, forget his name now, bumped me off my feet in London. Very nice man and very apologetic.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/11/25

Nope sorry only in SA!

Kurt Darren
Gypie
Steve Hofmeyer
Theuns Jordaan
Guillome
Richard Loring
one of the black stars in 7de laan
Dozi

I have a soft spot for Dozi he's given me his cell number and will perform 3 songs when requested at Charne's school he just does anything for the disabled - what a wonderful man!

Reply to CP Mom