Question
Posted by: Neo | 2003/03/25

hole in the eardrum

Hi doc.
I recently discovered that I've got a hole in my left eardrum. I always had ears problems but they didn't bother me that much. Now they started affecting my life. I've learned that, a month ago when I went to visit a doctor. I thought that it was just a flu. I'm a student and they have started affecting my studies. I struggle with hearing properly or sometimes I hear wide as people are speaking very loud and they tend to be paiful. I went to a dr yesterday and it looks like it is getting worse as it started affecting my right ear as well. They say if the hole doesn't close by it's self, I'm gonna have to do an operation. Now what I want to know is, is operation safe? Whatwill happen if I don't do it? Will I loose my semse of hearing. Help, I'm very scared.

Neo, there is nothing to worry about. The operation is as safe as any other and if you don’t have it done it might stay open. The problem is that things like shampoo can enter the middle ear through the hole and cause serious damage to the middle ear (resulting in hearing loss). The best would be to have it repaired and get it over with. Good luck.