Question
Posted by: T | 2004/11/03

Holding it all together

Dear Doc,

I currently work two jobs, have a pretty hectic lifestyle and run a household at the same time, which means that occasionally I rely on bioplus effervescent sweets/tablets to give me a little booster and the odd bit of sleep here and there.

I am going to the states for 6 months and would like to know what you can recommend I take or do to help me keep awake/alert and going strong, as I'll be working morning through to the next morning shift/s non stop.

I'm also concerned because my diet is going to take a nose dive and I'll be eating on the run, which means "dunkin' donuts and star bucks coffee etc"...
Although I am going to take with my left over USN milkshakes.

I havent exercised in a while (used to avidly), but am getting back into it (trying) slowly before I go and I also dont take any multivitamins or anything similar etc. I am 23 yrs and female btw.

Many thanks.

Hi T

It is very very hard to exercise in amongst the rigors of life, and you are not alone in this. I don't however think that any of the supplements are very good to take. I think that they are 'stop-gaps', just temporary measures to keep you going, but you will eventually crash and that will be a disaster. The body really needs rest, and I know that I will sound like I'm living in a world of make believe, but I think that you need to take the foot off the gas and regain control of your sleep and life habits. That means being in control enough to avoid situations where you have to eat on the run, and making sure that you have time to exercise. I know this is the unrealistic view, but it is possible and it is in the long term, the only option, so I hope that you can do it. You have to remember that no one ever suddenly found themselves in a situation where they had so much time they had to exercise - everyone either makes it a priority and then they do it, or they don't and they rarely exercise, and the same goes for rest. It's a top priority and so you kind of have to do it.