Question
Posted by: George | 2008/01/17

Hockey fitness

Good day,

I wonder if anyone can help. I am trying to get fit for hockey season, 2 months away and was wondering if what I am doing will help and if you can recommend anything else.

Currently I do about 20-30 minutes of combining rowing, cycling and orbitrek machine at the gym 2 to 3 times a week and then do the super circuit twice a week. Would this be a idea to help me start getting fitter or am I wasting my time?

HI George

Difficult one, because I can't really give a week by week programme on this forum, that would take substantial time and dialogue, but it seems that what you are doing now is fine in terms of general fitness. You might want to begin introducing some running in the programme, since that it is activity most specific to hockey. You'd do this very slowly though - start with maybe 5 minutes of running, and build it up once a week to 10, then 15 and so on until you're doing a 30 minute jog, maybe twice a week as well. Might be good to add running to that supercircuit session, but again just do so slowly and cautiously.

Otherwise it's fine, and when the hockey season begins, you'll have a base fitness, all round, that will enable you to adapt very quickly to the higher level training and sprinting and you should be up for a good season, fitness wise.