Question
Posted by: Tofsy | 2007/02/20

Hockey Fitness

I am a hockey player (amateur), playing in the top and most demanding womens league.

I have been going to gym for the last to months to start my own personal pre-season training. Basically, I've been running on the treadmill at a speed of about 9-9.5 for 20 mins; followed by 20 mins of cycling; followed by 10/20 mins on eliptical trainer.

Our club will be starting pre-season training twice a week from next week until late March, when the season starts.

I am a forward and would like to make the most of time; whether in the gym or training on my own. Please can you advise on my gym workout; I don't want to waste my time.

Also, my fiance will taking me twice a week, to the sports field to work on my speed. Please advise what would be the best type of training for us to do. i.e. shuttles, etc.

Hi Tofsy

It's really difficult to help with such specific questions on this forum, it's only really possible to give general advice. Most specific would require a consultation and meeting to discuss and arrange the specifics of what you do.

But on the general side, what I will say is that you need to be careful about doing too much hard training. The training the club does is key - I'm not sure what they are doing in those sessions, but if those days are hard, and you are also training quite hard twice a week with your boyfriend, then you are doing at least 4 quite hard days a week, and that's a lot, especially early on. So just be careful about that and don't overdo it.

As for what you should do, shuttles are good, but again, if you go from 'zero to hero' in a flash you run the risk of injury. So my advice is that you only do these higher intensity sessions once a week for now, at least for a couple of weeks, then start doing them twice a week later, if the preseason training with the team is not too taxing on your body.

Finally, in those high intensity sessions, shuttles are one form of speed training. For pure basic speed, nothing speeds short distance sprinting, maybe over 60 or 70 meters, bulding up from a jog to flat out and then the last 30 meters as fast as possible. That's for pure, straight line speed. I would do that maybe 6 to 8 times, but with very long rests of at least 3 minutes, preferably 4. The idea is that you have to recover - if you slow down because you are tired, you are not resting enough - it's all about speed.

The other one is diagonals, where you set up beacons about 25 m apart and at right angles to one another and sprint from one to the other, making a 90 degree turn each time, then going flat out again. If you have 4 beacons, it's basically a 100 m flat out sprint, with turns, and if you do that 4 or 5 times (again, with LONG rests), it's a pretty good session as well.

Good luck!
Ross