Posted by: Patricia | 2008/07/06

Hoarse throat doens't get better :(

Dear Doctor,
I had breathing problems as a child, when my life was divided between the countryside and city (in Portugal). At age 18, I had to move to the city and spent 4 years there. It's strange, but my health improved a lot (maybe because there weren't clouds of dust in the air all the time because the streets and sidewalks are of concrete?) Well, I had some quality life: only about two colds a year and far less cough. But at age 22, I moved to Germany. I live in the countryside but there are no clouds of dust here. However, for some reason, I catch a cold quite often and my colds last many weeks. I cough a lot, sweat all night long, have a hoarse throat (from my birth until age 22, I only had this twice, not it's almost all the time).

A hoarse throat is my problem. I am trying to get rid of that annoying feeling in my throat again. This time I have no further symptoms. The pain started on Monday and doesn't seem to get any better. I tried everything but it still feels the same. I drink lots of water (not too cold) as I think it is good but I see no results.

My throat is dry, the left side of it feels like there's sand there, the other half hurts (I think it's a tolsil). I also noticed it stinks. I brush my teeth and tongue twice a day to keep bacteria away. I also drink tea (not too hot) to 'wash' my throat. Is there anything I could do besides that?

I heard salty water is good but I guess it only makes hoarseness worse. Is it true?

Thank you a lot.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


Thank you for visiting

Obviously, you are allergic to some form of plant life/pollen. I suggest that you consult a GP to have x-rays of your sinusses done, as well as allergy tests to establish what you can possibly be allergic to. Your hoarseness and sore throat can be due to a post-nasal drip.

You can try salt water, as this will be harmless but I still suggest that you consult a GP for a full examination of your upper respiratory tract.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.