Question
Posted by: DP | 2004/10/12

HIV TRANSMISSION

Dear Doc,

Please can you help. Is there any chance of contracting HIV if someone spat into your eye (what if there was blood in saliva)? I have been told that you cannot. The reason why I ask, is that I was travelling in my car with the window down and I wasn't sure if what got into my eye was saliva or not. Besides, is there any way of knowing if saliva got into the eye. Maybe there would be blurred vision for a few seconds...

Many thanks.

DP, the chances of becoming HIV positive in the way you describe are so slim that it is impossible to calculate. There is no practical way that you could have been infected this way so you can stop worrying. Good luck.