Question
Posted by: CURIOUS | 2004/10/23

HIV TESTS

Dear Doc,

I have recently spoken to a virologist at one of the large labs in JHB, and she told me that the window period for the HIV PCR QUALITATIVE test is 12 - 14 days and that of the latest (4th generation) HIV ELISA test is 3 - 4 weeks. Also after this period has elapsed, the results can be taken as conclusive. I have read on numerous websites varying answers to the question of window periods, can you tell me if the periods above and results thereafter are conclusive.

Many thanks.

Curious, I often get questions like yours and I give the exact same answer. A PCR may become positive after 5 days and will be conclusive after 14 days. A 4th generation ELISA test will be conclusive after 4 weeks. Good luck.