Posted by: Anon | 2009/08/04

HIV Test

Hello cyberdoc

Are there hom-tests available for HIV testing that I can buy from a pharmacy or would going to a doctor be my best option?

I recently had a pap smear and my results were fine. No abnormalities or anything I should worry about but my next step would be to get an HIV test even though I am very safe and protective when it comes to sexual intercourse. Am I overreacting a bit here because I know I don' t have anything to be really concerned about. I like to be safe and my health is important to me.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Anon
Rather go to a HIV clinic or your GP for a proper blood test - the home tests can give you false positive or false negative results. It is not overreacting - one should from time to time go for HIV testing if you are not in a stable relationship with one HIV negative partner.
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.