Posted by: Worried | 2008/08/14

HIV symptoms What to do?

Condom failed three months ago, got very scared. Soon, somme the next week started to show HIV symptoms 
•  Sore throat
•  Mouth sores, white buildup on tong
•  Headache sharp and short
•  Fever
•  Fatigue
•  Herpes blisters
•  Itchy skin
•  Sharp short pain patches over body
Also was doing lot of drugs(rocks), three months ago when I was compromised. However I had three HIV test all negative. Two doc appointments the fist 3weeks after the exposure and the second three months where herpes was confirmed, doc gave pills for the herpes. Is it possible to show symptoms without testing positive? Or is the + still to come?

Dear Worried
The test can sometimes only show positive 3-6 months after infection, when your body starts making antibodies. However, if you do a HIV PCR test it will pick up the virus and this will show up earlier than the antibody tests. This is however expensive and we don’t normally use this for diagnostic purposes. If you are really worried and you can afford this, ask the doctor if he will request a PCR test for you.