Question
Posted by: confused101 | 2009/12/01

HIV symptoms do you think i need to worry???

HI there,

been bombarded with HIV thoughts and things since i has involved in a punch-up about three weeks ago. cut my hand on a man' s tooth - there may have been an exchange of blood. because of the window period i haven' t been for a test but went online to look at various symptoms.

1)my wife and i have unprotected sex, for obvious reasons, once she had a yeast infection and it caused a rash and flaking on my penis. that has since gone and not arisen again.

2)i have not been feeling depressed, but my wife has, although she has always felt tired in the afternoons after a days work, i have recently felt more exhausted myself.

3)we have not experienced any diahorrea

4) we have not had weight loss issues (in fact we have both started a low cholesterol diet)

5) i have not had any sinus problems, but my wife often suffers from sinus especially when it is windy or change of seasons

Do you think i need to worry?? please help!

Hallo Confused101
Early HIV symptoms can develop two to four weeks after infection. This illness is termed "acute retroviral syndrome" or "primary HIV infection." The syndrome is similar to the flu. The most common symptoms are fever, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes and a rash. The rash usually consists of small raised or flat lesions scattered all over the body, sometimes on the palms and soles.
I think you should use condoms until you know that you are not infected, to protect your wife.
You could do a PCR test(short for "polymerase chain reaction," a lab technique for detecting the genetic material of the virus itself). The PCR test will be positive even at the early stage of infection, but there is a low risk of false positive tests, so always follow up with an antibody test 3 months later.
Dr Betd

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/12/01

Hallo Confused101
Dr Betd

Reply to cyberdoc