Question
Posted by: Jay | 2005/11/29

HIV scare

Through a series of bad decisions, I was in a situation where I inserted my middle finger into the vagina of a possible HIV positive person. I noticed afterwards that I had a shallow paper cut on my finger that had already sealed up, but left a slight scab on my finger. Total exposure time +/- 3 minutes. Immediately afterwards I cleansed my hands with an alcohol-based waterless hand cleaner. Could I be infected? Please help, I'm freaking out here. How long does it take before you may test positive?
Thanks,
Jay

Jay, there is a theoretical possibility of becoming infected – practically it is probably nil. There are different types of tests you can do. A PCR test is more than 90% sensitive after 5 days and will give a definite result after 14 days. 4th generation ELISA tests are positive within 3-4 weeks and a follow up after 3-6 months
will give a definite result. The PCR test is about R600 and an ELISA test about R100. Good luck.