Question
Posted by: MrD | 2003/01/09

HIV PCR Test

I believe the waiting period before having an HIV PCR Test is 14 Days.
If you have the test done after 13 days, or 13 days and 4 hours for example, will it still be accurate???

Viral activity will start taking place immediately after the incident, and most virologists will insist on a 14 day waiting period, but I am sure that "13 days and 4 hours" is OK. However, the WHO guidelines do advice that you should still do an HIV Elisa test after 6 weeks to confirm you PCR.
Dr Elna McIntosh

3
Posted by: Virologist | 2003/01/16

Hi Mr D and also Dr Mac

The HIV PCR test is a conclusive test. If found to be positive you most certainly have HIV.

The ELISA tests today also provide very accurate results both positive and negative and that is because they are very sensitive (pick up small amounts of antibody) and are also highly specific (the results are reliable)

If you PCR is postive; sure have another test to ensure that the testing laboratory did not mix up your specimen with some else's (very highly unlikely) but the PCR test is the gold standard.

Good luck if you PCR postive. The are anti-retroviral drugs that work and do help!!

Reply to Virologist
Posted by: HIV | 2003/01/14

Any equipment or instrument you can re-comend to do Hiv test on your own. And where can I find it.

Reply to HIV
Posted by: Pal | 2003/01/09

NO !

Reply to Pal