Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2008/01/28

HIV infection from counsellor?

Hi Doc,

In Dec I went for a HIV test 13 weeks post exposure (or what I considered as exposure) and received a negative result. I was chatting to the counsellor after the test and he said he was HIV+, we shook hands and said goodbye.

Now during the test procedure, the counsellor didn't wear gloves, but as a professional, I didn't question this. I mean, it was only a finger prick test, not open heart surgery.

A few weeks after I started thinkning about the whole thing and realised 2 things:

1. I was starting to feel uncomfortable that gloves weren't worn
2. There was a fresh needle prick on my finger during & after the test when I made direct contact with the counsellor -i.e shaking his hand, while he was preforming the test

Now I know HIV is not transmitted through casual contact, but now there was an entry point on my hand for the virus to enter! I can't confirm if the tester had bleeding/weeping cuts on his hands???

Doc, am I at risk for HIV? Is my situation still considered casual contact? Must I retest 3 months down the line?

Dear Concerned
You are not at risk for HIV – you would have noticed if he had any open wounds on his hands. The risk for contracting HIV like this is negligible.