Question
Posted by: Sally-Anne | 2007/07/25

HIV Infected

Hello. I think i was infected with HIV 4 weeks ago. I had sex with an ex boyfriend 4 weeks ago and in 2 weeks time i got a sore pimple between my anus and vagina, then a week ago a got about 3 small pimples on the outside of my vagina. These pimple were very painful yet itchy. They have started clearing up and can not feel them anymore. I have never had anything like this in my life and i think i was infected with something serious. We used a condom but it came of without us realising. Where can i get access to ARV's at an affordable rate will they be effective now, can they prevent the disease after 4 weeks? Pls help, im even embarrassed to go to a doc.

This sounds more like herpes. Hiv is usually asymptomatic initially. It would be a good idea to have an HIV test to be sure though. Antiretrovirals have to be taken within 4 hours of exposure to prevent transmission.

4
Posted by: Madison | 2007/07/26

i doubt the pimples could be from HIV (especially early symptoms), the virus doesnt really cause that, but STD's do. best to go for an STD test.

Reply to Madison
Posted by: Rox | 2007/07/25

Hi Sally-Anne
The pimples could have been caused by any number of things and not necessarily HIV. It is best to speak to your doctor and get tested if you're worried mainly for peace of mind, although they will probably test twice as it has been less than 6 weeks.
Don't feel embarrassed, your doctor is a professional and will be able to handle the situation comfortably. Trust me doctor's have seen just about anything you can think of.
Good Luck.

Reply to Rox
Posted by: Dee | 2007/07/25

I dont think pimples are indicative of HIV, it could have been due to an ingrown hair. i would test for HIV just for piece of mind.

Reply to Dee
Posted by: kay | 2007/07/25

The only way a person can tell if he/she has HIV is after an HIV Test. Go for one and ask doctor what you can do to prevent HIV infection at this stage but I think its a bit too late.

Reply to kay