Question
Posted by: Inc | 2004/11/01

HIV (FYI)

Hi Doc and readers...
Just to let you know that there is still no active HIV expert of the HIV forum... but there are readers who are quite clued up.
The question that I answered on Thursday was not provided by an expert from the HIV forum... but from my own research and the interaction of those who post there.
The stigma attached to being HIV+ makes this illness more psychological than physical.... so I think that questions relating to this can be answered on both forums? Also, having information on both forums may be an eye-opener to those who still don't realize how easy it is to contract this disease?
Looking forward to your welcome opinions...
regards
Inc

Well answered, Inc. Sorry to hear the Expert is AWOL in HIV Forum, but it sounds like a clued-up group with others with good access to relevant info. Happy for the psychological aspects of HIV and other illnesses to be discussed here, just uneasy if people look for virological expertise here ! I think, including but beyond HIV as such, we need to recognize the extent to which stigma and other people's ignorance and hostility can form a major part of the suffering from many disorders. As with HIV, though the symptoms and many problems of the illness itself may respond well and be controlled by medication / treatments, in Epilepsy, and all psychiatric disorders, for instance, stigma and prejudice can become a major part of the burden. So maybe we need a broader campaign against stigma !

4
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/11/01

Arghhhh - excuse all those typos :)

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/11/01

HIV is something everyone needs to understand. I started reading the HIV Expert forum a couple of months back, and I have learned so much about the illness and the challenges people face, and it's where I learned that you were HIV positive as well. You do a great job on that forum, helping people out. The ignorance and discrimination showed it's ugly self the other day on this forum. It would be a good idea to discuss issues regarding HIV and AIDS here. We all need to understand that although we might not be infected by HIV, we are definitely affected by it, and if we don't feel we are affected now, we will realise the affects before long.
Also, I think there are many people walking around who are HIV positive and totally clueless about their status and people need to be constantly be aware of the possibility of contracting it. Even those people who feel secure in there long term committed relationship.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/01

Hi Inc.,

Thank you for your response on the other forum & nice to see you're back. Hope you have a great day further.

Yes, you guys are really very helpful & very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: JM | 2004/11/01

Hi Inc.

Good idea. It will definitely assist us in understanding.

Regards,
JM

Reply to JM