Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2008/01/29

HIV from counsellor

Hi Doc,

In Dec I went for a HIV test 13 weeks post exposure (or what I considered as exposure) and received a negative result. I was chatting to the counsellor after the test and he said he was HIV+, we shook hands and said goodbye.

Now during the test procedure, the counsellor didn't wear gloves, but as a professional, I didn't question this. I mean, it was only a finger prick test, not open heart surgery.

A few weeks after I started thinkning about the whole thing and realised 2 things:

1. I was starting to feel uncomfortable that gloves weren't worn
2. There was a fresh needle prick on my finger during & after the test when I made direct contact with the counsellor -i.e shaking his hand, while he was preforming the test

Now I know HIV is not transmitted through casual contact, but now there was an entry point on my hand for the virus to enter! I can't confirm if the tester had bleeding/weeping cuts on his hands???

1. Doc, am I at risk for HIV?

2. Is my situation still considered casual contact?

3. Must I retest 3 months down the line?

Sorry for the double post - but thought my first one was missing!

Dear Concerned
your risk to get HIV this way is about nil - I won't worry if I were you.