Question
Posted by: MAGDEL | 2007/02/20

HIV & EYE SORES

AS STATED IN MY PREVIOUS POST, MY CD4 IS 352 AT PRESENT. I HAVE RECURRENT EYESORES, ESPECIALLY ON MY LEFT EYE. DR HAS CUT ONE OPEN +- 5 WEEKS AGO, IT IS NOW BACK AND I ALSO HAVE ONE ON MY LEFT EYE. AM USING CHLOROMYCETIN THROUGHOUT THE DAY. IS THERE S.THING ELSE I CAN DO APART FROM HAVING THEM CUT OPEN ALL THE TIME?

Dear Magdel
It is caused by Staphylococcus Aureus bacteria. Try Bactroban ointment if it is not IN the eye. Also put Bactroban in your nose ( where it probably lives) to lower the carrier status. You could also ask the doctor to give you antibiotics to lower the bacterial count, and bath/wash with antiseptic soap to lower the bacteria on your skin ( it is a "normal" organism on all people's skins but someone with low immunity may get "overgrowth")
See http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/130/3/221