Posted by: Sloslo | 2008/11/27


I was diagnosed with HIV in 1999, I have been doing well but recently decided to start gym for fitness and health and to get rid of some fat in unwanted places.To work with the gym I want to start eating healthy as well, is there any dietician you can recommend in EL?. do medical aids cover for dieticians if a person has a life thretening illness like me?what advice can you give of first start to healthy eatinmg. I love food and eat almost anything I eat a lot but I have never gone past the weight I am 86kg no matter how much I eat

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Sloslo
So glad you have the HIV well under control and are feeling well. I can't recommend a dietitian directly, but you can visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. Most medical aids do cover dietetic consultations and it is really a good idea for you to see a dietitian because you need an individual diet worked out which takes the HIV and your antiretrovirals into account.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.