Question
Posted by: jp | 2008/01/16

hiv concerns

Hi can you get hiv through spit - ie if I shared a sucker with someone who has hiv can I get it?

Dear Jp
although HIV can be detected in saliva, it is not regarded as infectious and there are no documented cases of HIV transmission through saliva as far as I know. There is a protein in the mouth that attaches itself to the surface of blood cells and blocks infection by HIV. This proteien apparently reduces the concentration of HIV in saliva to non-infectious levels. However if the person has blood in the saliva ( i.e. injury to the mouth) the risk may be higher.

2
Posted by: Lumka | 2008/08/20

It is not a message, actually want to ask a question: I' d love to know What are the posibilities for an HIV women to get Pregnant and What are risks?

Reply to Lumka
Posted by: Nomsa | 2008/01/16

The ONLY ways that HIV can be transmitted:
having unprotected sexual intercourse (vaginal or anal) with someone else who is HIV positive
direct blood contact, i.e. sharing needles with someone who is HIV positive, accidental workplace injuries (needlestick in a health care setting)
from an HIV positive mother to her unborn child
HIV is NOT EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE trasmitted by:

mosquitoes or any other insects
feces, urine, sweat, tears from an HIV+ person
shared food or drinks with an HIV+ person
casual contact (kissing, hugging, etc...) with an HIV+ person
toilet seats
swimming pools, hot tubs
scratching a pimple
someone who is HIV-
dried blood
saliva

Reply to Nomsa