Question
Posted by: Tortea | 2007/04/23

HIV Carrier or not

I have a very traumatic experience.Three of my fiancee had passed away in the passed 10 years (of HIV). I have kids with the first and second. They are both healthy. (9 and 5 years). I have been testing for HIV for the better part of the past 10 yrs. I even went for a PCR test which confirm my negativity. But there are rumours going around in my community that I am probably a carrier and I am resposible for the deaths of all my fiancee's. This is a very difficult situation for me.Even some proffessional medical practitioners seems to suggest that. It has now been 2 years that I had no partner and sexual intercourse. I am afraid to have a girlfriend. I need to find someone honest and settle but with rumours going around, I am afraid I will never get married. I am alsmost 40 yrs. Now question is m I a carrier although testing negative. If I am a carrier, what about all these people who are negative. What is a carrier then? Please help,I need to close this chapter. I need to settle and have a wife like other people.

Dear Tortea
At this point in time , if your PCR test is negative, you don't have the virus. There are a few cases of prostitutes in mid Africa that test HIV positive but is not sick and are thus technically "carriers", but no cases in Southern Africa as far as I know. All carriers here tested positive up to now.
See also http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/viral_load/test.html
If you want to, I can give you names of HIV specialists for second opinion, just let me know in which area you live?

1
Posted by: Nomsa | 2007/04/24

Maybe you are one of those lucky people who can not be infected even if they have sexual intercourse with HIV positive people. Then you need to ask yourself you your fiancee were faithful in your relationship or not. Maybe they were not faithful and you are lucky because you can not be infected.

Reply to Nomsa