Question
Posted by: Pepper | 2007/06/20

HIV and pregnancy

My husband and I desperately want to have children. He is HIV positive and I am negative.
We lived in a major city and were going to go to a fertility clinic to have artificial inseminiation done via a sperm wash. However we have moved far away and to be honest with you, we were worried that the cost was going to consume us at the clinic.

My husband is going for his CD4 count and viral load test next month and till this point, he is in perfect health with no symtoms the the virus and no need for arv's yet.

I have been on depro-provera for a while but stopped taking it two years back. my periods have slowly returned, bit irregular but there.

We have been to see our new GP here and he is not very clued-up on what we should do. What do you suggest. I have heard of a couple who were in the same boat as us. She took arv's and went on clomid. will it work for us?
Please help
Thank you kindly

Dear Pepper

I would certainly advise against any form of unprotected intercourse. Intra-uterine insemination is a rather inexpensive and effective means of treatment in this instance particularly where CD4 counts are high and viral loads are low. Also the decision to choose intrauterine insemination will depend on whether the fallopian tubes are patent or blocked.

4
Posted by: Pepper | 2007/06/25

Hi there Tammy

Dont worry Tammy, you are not alone.... It's nice to know that im not the only one in this boat, terrible as it is

Reply to Pepper
Posted by: Tammy | 2007/06/21

Pepper I am in the same situation as you, except that I am positive and hubby is negative

Reply to Tammy
Posted by: Pepper | 2007/06/20

Hi Tammy

No, We are staying in Knysna,

Reply to Pepper
Posted by: Tammy | 2007/06/20

Are you in Joburg? Try Dr Cassim - he will definitely be able to hel you - but he's in Jhb.

Reply to Tammy