Question
Posted by: Amanda | 2008/05/23

HIV and Pregancy

Hi Doctor

I'm pregnant and tested HIV+ when I went for my blood test in the 20th week of my pregancy. According to the test results my CD4 count is higher than 800 and my viral load is as high as 2000. My doctor has advised me to take medication to bring my viral load down. I'm not really keen on taking it but would still want to take all necessary precautions to make sure my baby does not get infected, is it possible? Is there a way of decreasing my viral load without medication? How will the birth of my child affect my immune system and my health? I'm trying to live as healthy and positively as possible, but still tend to worry about such things.

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

There is no other way to decrease your viral without taking the recommended medication. The birth of your baby will not have any effect on your immune system and health.

It is important to take anti-retrovirals at the time of birth to prevent infecting your child.

Kind regards

3
Posted by: Sbo | 2008/05/27

Rather take the dr's advice, then u can stop taking the meds after birth..Good luck..

Reply to Sbo
Posted by: knowing | 2008/05/27

there's no sinlge thing that will loer ur viral load, its a combi of various things, so take meds and live a healthy lifestyle

goodluck!

Reply to knowing
Posted by: Gosh | 2008/05/26

Do what your doctor advised you to do and take that medication.

Reply to Gosh