Question
Posted by: Milli | 2004/01/06

HIV+ and giving birth

What is the safest/recommended method for giving birth without the risk of passing the virus on to your baby?- And when do you start taking or giving the baby medication that reduces the risk of HIV infection to the baby?

Caesarean section decreases the risk of transmission ot the fetus. There is, however, a higher risk of infection in the mother.
The best medication to use is HAART, which can be started at the beginning of the pregnancy. If you are not using this, AZT can be used from 34 weeks and Nevirapine in labour.

2
Posted by: Milli | 2004/01/07

Thank you! I will post any further questions on the HIV forum. This is a very difficult time for me and my partner, but I know that when I look into the eyes of my bundle of joy everything that I would have gone thru would be worth it!!!

Thank you, again...

Reply to Milli
Posted by: malaika | 2004/01/06

The safest way is by ceasarian section.Yoy need to start taking medication one month before birth and your baby will have to take medication (syrup) from birth until 4-6 weeks.You can post your question on the hiv forum and im sure the expert and the participants will be more than helpful.
Good Luck.

Reply to malaika