Question
Posted by: SANIAGA | 2007/07/16

HIV & AIDS

Hi Doc, I have recently been diagnosed HIV positive and my CD4 count was 133 and I thought I'd rather try to boost my CD4 count instead of going onto ARV'S.MY cd4 count is now 142 3 weeks later.Should I keep trying or should I just go onto ARV's.

Hi Saniaga
Medically speaking we start ARV's with a CD4 count under 200 as your risk for infections become high now. But it is eventually your own decision. If you have no infections and have low risk of getting any as you eat well and have little contact with sick people, you probably can wait a bit longer before starting HRV's. I think you should discuss this with your doctor in detail and see also page 9 and 61 of this World health organization document: http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/prev_care/en/arvrevision2003en.pdf