Question

HIV

I'm just wondering how many of us (gay men who come read the posts here) are HIV poz? (Sorry to the lesbians). Just post as Anon and say Poz or Negative or Don't Know?

By the way if you said NEGATIVE how do you know, when last did you test for HIV? COULD you have been infected since the last time you tested? Then you should say Don't Know, right?

My guess is that about 30 - 40% of us are HIV Poz but some of us don't know our status.

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Anon and thanks for this post :)

You pose a very interesting question: how sure are we of our HIV status? Sadly, the collective gay psyche in SA has adopted the attitude of "I am negative until I test positive". And we avoid testing or we test infrequently.

We know very little about the incidence of HIV infection among gay men in SA - all official data regarding HIV infection rates are obtained sorely from women attending ante-natal clinics, from which projections are made as relating to the general rate of HIV infection in the country. These statistics have absolutely no baring on the gay community in SA. A very disconcerting reality.

We estimate that anything between 12% and 35% of gay men in SA are HIV positive. Of particular concern, most gay men don't REALLY know their HIV status and yet they claim to be negative.

Play safely guys.

8
Posted by: <> | 2007/07/30

poz for 4 yrs

Reply to <>
Posted by: Gay | 2007/07/28

Too scared to have the test so I don't know

Reply to Gay
Posted by: W. | 2007/07/27

27, gay, tested HIV+ in 2005, CD4 count is over 800 :)

Reply to W.

Neg, tested in May

Posted by: anon | 2007/07/27

poz for 8 months, doing well

Reply to anon
Posted by: Gareth | 2007/07/27

Negative, but the last time I was tested was about 2 years ago, just after I met my boyfriend. Before that I had myself tested about once every 4 months. We have a monogomous relationship, so we are safe. I know you never really know what your partner gets up to, but we trust each other completely, and we agreed that - God forbid - it ever happens that one of us should stray, we would have the respect and decency to tell each other, so that we can get tested...-

Reply to Gareth
Posted by: Sue | 2007/07/27

Hallo!

I know for sure I'm NOT poz , because I regularly donate blood. I'm goning next Thuesday.I'ts not the only reason I donate .It's to save a life.But they called me once telling me because I used Disprin earlyery the could not use my blood. So if I had HIV they would have told me.

I admire some of the poz people because of their stamina!

Thanx Sue

Reply to Sue
Posted by: LONEWOLF | 2007/07/27

Positive, but living with it, not a victim. There IS a huge difference

Reply to LONEWOLF