Question
Posted by: (*)(*) | 2007/06/21

HIV+

How can I check if I'm still fertile or not? Can the HIV cause infertility. My gynae had noticed cysts on my ovaries, is that a sign that I may be infertile, and I also suffer constantly from lower abdominal pains.

Dear **

The HIV status has little or if not anything to do with the cause of infertility, except that one would not expect an HIV positive individual to have unprotected intercourse. It is recommended that HIV positive individuals, either concordant or discordant, should have assisted reproduction either through intrauterine insemination (after sperm wash) or through IVF. It would be best to discuss this with a fertility specialist or a gynaecologist who is familiar with this kind of management.