Question
Posted by: Steven | 2004/11/08

hiv

HI doc

During april this year i received oral sex from a girl. after i came to my senses about what just happened, i realised that i was stupid and had exposed myself to hiv and other diseases.

I went for an hiv test 4 weeks 5 days after the possible exposure and it came back negative. the test was done by lancet.

After about 3 weeks i got this itchy red patch on the base of my penis, it never hurt and only itched when it was wet. I've only had one ulceration in my mouth, which was after 4 months but did have what seemed to be little white sores in my mouth every now and then but these never hurt.

After 9 weeks and a hectic week of partying, i got sick, but i wasn't that bad, just a wet cough at night and a blocked nose. i was still able to do my daily activities and never had any joint pains. i took half a course of anti biotics after a few days just to speed recovery. 3 weeks after that, i got sick again, but i had a sore throught. most of my friends felt the same way before me.

I haven't had any illnesses since but i've been to scared to go for another test. i've heard i was supposed to wiat 3 months. i dont know who else to ask, please help me. do you think my test result in conclussive, or can it change? Do any of the above make you think that i might be +? I just cant stop thinking about it.

Thank you very much
Steven

Steven, I seriousy doubt that you’re HIV positive, but the best would be to repeat the test and lay all your worries to rest. While you’re at it, do a syphilis test too as it might have been the cause of the red patch/ulceration. Good luck.