Question
Posted by: Kay | 2004/09/30

HIV

At a crowded air show a man brushed past my husband and got a fair amount of blood on his hand. My husband noticed this shortly afterwards and washed it off as soon as he got to a tap about 10 minutes later. What concerns us is that he had a tiny (miniscule, really) cut on his finger (it was not fresh and was not bleeding ). Is there any cause for concern over HIV or are we being neurotic?

Our GP said that although he thinks there is no cause for concern, he has put my husband on a course of ARV, and he will be tested in a month's time just as a precaution. Could you give us any more info to put our possibly paranoid minds at ease?

Kay, I can’t guarantee it, but the chance of him having contracted HIV is so small that taking ARV’s is total overkill. I really think you don’t have to worry about it. Good luck.