Posted by: Visitor | 2008/07/28

Histrionic Personality Disorder

Dear CS, can you please tell me what causes this disorder, and if it can " disappear"  without treatment, only by using anti depressants?

Thank you.

Hmm. Its actually a very uncommon diagnosis to hear about. And not I think altogether satisfactory. Its one of the fragments into which the old concept of Hysteria disintegrated when they decided for psycho-political reasons, to drop that old diagnosis. No specific cause is identified for personality disorders, including this one. Antidepressants or other chemicals / meds are unlikely to help ; any personality problem can be exaggerated and become troublesome if one is depressed, and then, as the depression is properly treated, it may fade again and become easier to control