Question
Posted by: Shazz | 2008/06/13

History

Hi CS

Sorry to hear about your mother, hope she gets better soon.

I've finally convinced my shrink to test me for ADD. He sent me for blood tests for my thyroid and I have to go back to him in a couple of weeks.

He mentioned something about speaking to my parents about my behaviour as a child to determine a history of forgetfulness, loss of concentration etc. What would this entail and, in my case, I might have a problem because my mother's not educated and was happy with me just passing matric.

I doubt if she'd even noticed how my grades had slipped from the age of 14. Also, that was about the time my father's alcoholism started, so everything was in turmoil anyway.

What would you suggest I do to prepare for when the "research" has to be done?

Have a nice weekend.

He may be being unrealistic in how much he expects to learn from your parents, simply because even the most intelligent of parents, educated or not, don't usually pay close attention unless there are obvious problems. Especially when she was disracted by problems relating to your dad's alcoholism. But such "reseach" ought not to be a worry, and what he might ask about presumably depends on his personal interests as to making this particular diagnosis in adults ( there are not such clear and widely recognized criteria as in other conditions ). Remember that the aim is to be sure of the best way to help you --- fortunately it's not an exam you ( or mother ) could fail ! There are no wrong answers