Question
Posted by: MaRy | 2007/06/19

Hips and thighs

I need your help desperately. I am 20kg over weight, i trojan cycling machine as well as a some exercise machine for the tummy. My problem is that my inner thighs touch and i absolutely hate the feeling. Whaty exercises can i do to work my thighs, butt, and hips Oh and tummy.

My thighs are 114cm i would like it to be 98cm.

Please help.

Hi Mary

You're on the right track. The cardio training you are doing is what needs to be done, because the specific exercises are surprisingly ineffective on their own. That's not to say you should not do them, you should, but it's the cycling that's more important. cardio training like running, walking, cycling, swimming, taebo, aerobics etc. are the way to go. Anything that is cardiovascular gets the heart pumping and energy burning is most effective. It is just a question of how you use these cardio sessions. I would suggest at least 4 days a week of cardio training, each session lasting about 30 to 45 minutes, AT LEAST. You have to build up this duration and then keep at it consistently in order to see change.

The specific exercises for the area in question have a relatively minor role, other than that they are responsible for developing the muscle in the area, which creates the appearance of being toned. That's obviously what you want, but you have to realise that you can't do the toning and specific work first and neglect the cardio - it has to work the other way around, cardio first, toning second. So focus on cardio, then on toning.

Diet is also very crucial, and if it's not 100% it will undermine any exercise benefits. So the best thing is to see a dietician or follow a very good diet plan. Just remember that low kilojoule is not necessarily better - too low causes problems as well, because it causes the body's metabolic rate to drop and that affects your ability to lose weight in the future. So don't try to starve yourself or go overboard, rather eat sensibly, cut out as much fat as you can, and listen to your body.