Question
Posted by: Tone up | 2002/12/03

Hips and thighs

Hi, Could you recommend some exercise which will reduce celulite as well as inches around the hip and thigh area. I am diabetic and battle with exercise although it is good for me and am not able to diet due to the carbo's.

Spot-reduction is a myth - so what you need to do, is to begin a comprehensive exercise programme, which will tone your whole body (and at the same time, tone your hips and thighs). Even though you are diabetic, you can still eat a very healthy diet and I recommend that you tackle your weight from this angle as well. Exercise will help to improve your insulin sensitivity and improve your glucose reponse, which is of course very important for a diabetic.

I suggest you log onto www.health24.co.za and join the free gym-based interactive exercise programme called "War ON Wobbles". There you will get all the info you need as well as weekly monitoring. If you prefer a home-based programme, then log onto the same site but go into the fitness section and you'll find "Shape up for Summer". There aren't that many cardiovascular options there yet, but the new version will have many different options.

Good luck!