Question
Posted by: Jeanette | 2007/12/05

hips ache

When I ly on my side, my hips ache to the extent that I wake up. they do not ache when I am sitting, walking or lying on my back. I pulled the muscles in my lower back over easter weekend, and since then I keep getting tweeks in my lower back. My mother suffers from osteoporosis. do I need to see an orthopaedic surgeon, chiropractor or GP? Please advis what I should do.

Dear Jeanette
You can see your GP first - he needs to do the basic examination to see whether the pain is hip related or maybe coming from your back. He may decide to send you for x/rays or a bone densitity test. It could be hip bursitis, inflammation of the sinovial membranes inside the joints that is causing the pain, or arthritis of the joint or referred pain from a pinced nerve in your back.