Question
Posted by: Bard | 2008/01/14

Hips

When exercising my hips tend to lock up or I get a bit of pain in them, I find it worse when warming up (stretching) and doing sit-ups, leg raises and 45 degree leg press. The pain or lock up feeling is on both legs ( on the side of the hips) Not sure if I need to strengthen my hips (and if so what sort of exercise) or they may something else wrong.
Any advise would be appreciated

Hi Bard

Difficult to say. Perhaps nerves in the lower back or hips that are aggravated in the specific positions - that seems a possible explanation, given the positions where you experience the pain. Also, the fact that it's both side would lead one to suspect something in the lower back, as opposed to muscle injury. Not that this rules it out, of course - it could be anything, and the reality is that you need to probably see someone about it. It's impossible to diagnose like this, and of course, the diagnosis is key as it dtermines the treatment. So while I hate to pass the buck, that's what you would need to do - a doctor or a physio assessment.